Steak and Guac Night
When I was growing up, food was always a central element in our house. My family loved the process from start to finish. Prep work was an event in and of itself, when my brother, sister, and I would all congregate in the kitchen while my parents chopped, stirred, and cooked appetizers, sides, and main dishes. Some of my fondest memories with my family are in the kitchen.
When I went to college, I always looked forward to my time at home and the great food and drink that awaited me. On one particular occasion when I was planning to head home, my dad and I decided that we would grill steak for dinner when I arrived. Although it was a bit unconventional, we decided on guacamole as our appetizer. We had so much fun chopping the veggies, experimenting with flavors and spices, and talking while we worked that it became a regular thing every time I came home. Over the years, it became known as “Steak and Guac Night”.
Check out the recipe below to bring this great app to your next steak night!
- 4-5 ripe avocados
- 1 roma tomato, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (we save the seeds for some extra heat!)
- Juice of 1 lime
- A handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- Garlic Salt to taste
- Mash the avocados until only a few chunks remain
- Mix in the tomato, jalapeño, garlic salt, cilantro
- Add 1/2 of the red onion, saving the other half to add as needed
- Add 1/2 of the lime juice, saving the other half to add as needed